Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recap of last Saturday

Last Saturday Xiao, Matt, and I joined Paul and Halo for the weekly throwdown. Matt showed up a bit late so the rest of us got started with a 4v4 game.

Paul was playing 'Mana whore', Halo 'Indifference', Xiao 'All Your Base (are Belong to Us)', and I was playing 'Farce of Nature'. The match started off pretty evenly, but then Xiao made the mistake of doing well. The pack jumped on Xiao like hyenas on a bucket of livers. After the dust settled Xiao was eliminated. After that things just became more brutal. Halo was eliminated next and I followed shortly after, leaving Paul victorious.

Matt showed up and he and Xiao faced off. Matt was playing 'Haematoma', a vampire deck against Xiao's AYB. I was busy with the remains of the 4v4, but Xiao went 2-0 and managed to pull out his Platinum Angel at least once.

While Xiao and Matt's epic game was continuing, Paul, Halo, and I settled in for a 3v3. Paul switched to 'Giddy Up' and I changed over to my White/Green mimic-based 'When Elves Attack'. When Halo and Paul realized I was playing my mimic vat deck, they showed no mercy. I was swiftly eliminated and then Paul mopped up.

Next Matt, Xiao, I faced off for a 3v3 game. Matt switched to 'Artifsck', while Xiao and I stuck with our previous decks (AYB and WEA, respectively). As soon as I realized Matt was playing anti-artifact, he became enemy number one for me. I was gambling I would be able to eliminate both him and Xiao before Xiao locked the game down with Platinum Angels. I was right. I drew all of my cheap ramp elves and got them out one after the other. Matt fell with Xiao right after him.

Next we squared off for a couple 1-on-1 matches. Paul and Matt faced off with Paul playing his unnamed goblin deck and Matt playing first Haematoma, and then True Blood (another vampire deck?). Paul defeated one deck and then the other. Matt then busted out with Artifsck and won.

Xiao and I likewise squared off. Xiao with AYB and me with my newly finished goblin deck "You Gotta Have WAAAGH!". The speed of the goblins was just too much for AYB to cope with, and I finished 2-0. With the last Paul-Matt game still going, Xiao and I had a go with AYB against WEA. Xiao locked the game down with counters and managed to get his Platinum Angel out. I had no response and Xiao finished me off.


We swapped opponents and Matt and Xiao played. A Very. Epic. Game. I wish I could have payed closer attention to what was going on, but I know the game lasted a long time, and both of them had a strong board presence and strong hands. Matt was playing Artifsck and eventually triumphed against AYB. Their second game was like was one for the history books. Matt had True Blood against AYB. From what I remember Xiao had negative life from very early in the game, but had the Platinum Angel. Xiao laughed at his life total. Xiao laughed all the way to the bank and (eventually) defeated Matt.

I squared off against Paul for some hawt Goblin-on-Goblin action. The first match (yes, we played twice as many games as Matt and Xiao, though I think they had a considerably more epic experience) went quick. Paul got me down to very low life, with me answering him and making him pay for every damage he dealt, but after the dust settled, I was victorious. The second game went down exactly the same (complete with my first two turns being the identical Goblin Balloon Brigade followed by kicked Goblin Bushwhacker). We went 2-0. After seeing the Long Game still going between Matt and Xiao, we settled in for another couple of games. The first game saw Paul slightly faster on the draw then myself, and pulling out a victory. I made up for it with the second game by being a sliver faster and we ended the second match 1-1.

We then decided to play a massive 4v4 game. Matt pulled out 'Red Cross' and Paul played with his new golem deck, 'Golly!". Xiao was playing AYB, and I was playing WEA. I don't recall exactly what happened in the first part of the game, but I remember I got out an Elspeth Tirel and built up to enough loyalty to trigger her board-clearing ability the next turn. Paul and Xiao were not amused and I had no real blockers. I was assaulted by Paul and answered with a Fog! Then Xiao looked pleased (he was on Platinum Angel life support) and went after Elspeth. He was considerably less amused when I played my second Fog. Matt was looking forward to my board clearing so he could get at Paul, and didn't attack. My turn rolled around and I finally breathed again. I cleared the board of all non-tokens and non-basic lands. By this point Paul had a single MASSIVE golem and a couple smaller golems. With his life support destroyed, Xiao bit the dust. Paul was not about to let that happen again and finished me off, with Matt following shortly after.

Matt headed out and the three of us remaining went for a 3v3. Paul was sticking with Golly! and Xiao with AYB. I went back to FoN. I was not about to let the massive golem stockpiling that Paul got away with happen again, so I went after Paul with reckless abandon. Perhaps a bit too much reckless abandon, as Xiao managed to eliminate me after I took out Paul.

Good times!

1 comment:

  1. I love games that involve reckless abandon.

    I feel like I will not will a multiplayer game ever, unless I use reckless abandon at some point within the game.

    ReplyDelete