Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mirrodin Besieged Red Rares

This is one of the better cards in the set. What? Pyroclasm? Never heard of it, why would I care now? This card kills all sorts of creatures that were annoying and just out of range of pyroclasm before. Basically this lightning bolts every creature. Play this with Pyromancer's Ascension? That pretty much kills anything. Oh wait! And it could also do direct damage to all players? Wizards of the Coast really gave Red some beef with this card.
Artwork-epic (I guess that is suppose to be Koth of the Hammer in the picture?)
Nice. A reworked fireball. Maybe it can't split targets like the fireball did, but that wasn't really why fireball was awesome anyway. Besides...this card can exile a creature when it kills it! Plus, it is one of the Zenith cards so it gets to shuffle itself. Which I think is a useful tool. Overall I think this will see play in structures RDW decks.
Artwork-pretty awesome (except for those weird ass goblins, I think I could have done without the comic relief)
The other "hero" of the set. In some ways this hero trumps the White counterpart. It has haste, and a better power, but the real nice part is the preventing weenies from blocking. So that means people are going to be looking for clever ways to drop some blue power drain spells onto the creatures to let through these attackers unchecked. Even without the ability, it is certainly a good card. Overall it ranks as one of the better creatures and a card many people will be using for red aggro decks.
Artwork-boring (I seriously think the artist spent more time on the clouds than anything else, they look really nice.)
The token dragon of the set. At least this dragon has a better boosting ability than the red dragon from Scars of Mirrodin. This can be abused in red/artifact decks to really get a lot of extra bang for that pump of 1R to to X, where X equals the number of artifacts being controlled by the player. Overall it is still a dragon and it costs 5RR, which is 1 more than a lot of dragons. I doubt this will see a lot of decks, but in dedicated dragon decks this may find a niche.
Artwork-badass (the flavor text and the artwork go hand in hand)
People have been drooling over this card for weeks. It is certainly good, but it has limitations. I expect to see this card regularly but I just don't know how sold I am on it. Overall it has a lot of potential to be very dangerous, but at the same time it has the potential to be very bad.
Artwork-weird (it looks like a tick that feeds on electricity instead of blood.)

Red is my least favorite color, which is odd because I think dragons are awesome. I think I just hate when burn spells kill my creatures. I think red got some nice additions, and red will continue to be a contender.

1 comment: