Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Monday to Remember

Here goes, I'm going to do an update.

This Monday we gathered a few of us. Snape returned to his apartment finally. Matt, Chris, Snape, Paul, and Halo. A few notable things happened. Halo played Matt a bunch of times and came close but, Halo lost.

Snape, Chris, and Paul did a Mirroden Besieged draft and played one big 3-way. It was very close. Snape and Chris made fast enemies. In a bizarre draft scenario, not just because it was 3-way, I played an infect deck, Snape played mill, and Chris beat. Snape and Chris made fast enemies when Chris had to a mill a card for some unrelated reason, and Snape decided that was enough of a crippling start on his deck that he targeted Chris with his mill. This made Chris very angrily and he continually attacked Snape. I very slowly amassed a bunch of very big poisonous creates and some angel that made them all fly when I attacked. Plus some stupid equipments. Chris was pretty much milled out of existence, when Snape realized he would be poisoned to death in just two turns if he finished off Chris. He turned his sites on me. He destroyed some of my creatures and in a few turns milled me down to just 11 cards. He was no able to mill at 6 per turn. Chris had only 5 cards. I made an ill advised moved and instead of equipping an unblockable dude with poison, I chose some dumb creature that got blocked. leaving Snape with 6 poison counters. snape's turn. He mills me. I have 5 cards. Chris does something. My turn. Poison snape, he has 9 poison. Snape mills to death. Chris does nothing, then gets milled to death too. Instead of winning with my big poison creatures I got milled. Congrats Snape on your first draft 1st place, first win of Mirrodien Besieged draft, and first 3-way 1st place in draft.

We also played an awesome 3-way of all mono green decks. Chris had some deck that started with little dudes and built to big dudes. Snape had regenerate guys, and I played Mana Whore that aims to spit out gigantic Eldrazi by holding mana in my mana pool with Omnath. I got a great draw, and by turn 5 cast a Butcher of Truth . A 12/12 annihilator 4, draw 4 cards when he comes into play giant eldrazi. Snape and Chris read and re-read, sensing danger. Turn goes around, Chris puts out more mana generating little dudes and walls. Snape puts out more regenerators. My turn. I thought it would be funny not to attack with the butcher. Instead I put a Bear Umbra on Omnath, added about 8 mana to my mana pool, and attached with OMnath, allowing me to untag OMnath and add 8 more mana. Omnath was blocked. Chris and Snape did not understand why I didn't attack with The Butcher. But they were very silent. I think they thought I forgot, and if they were quite, then I would keep forgetting to attack with him. Chris put out a Khalni Hydra for free because he had so many creatures. Snape but out some other regenerators. My turn. I do the same thing with Omnath and now have about 32 mana in my mana pool. So I cast Emrakul, The Aeons Torn. Despair around the table occurs. Who will die by annihilator 10. i didn't attack. confusion. I took my extra turn, and still didn't attack. I was having too much fun, and thought it would be funny to see what they did by being idle. Instead of attacking I played 2 Khalini Hydra myself and laughed. Dumb idea. Chris on his very next turn casts his very own Emrakul also! He has so much mana from lands and pumpers he easily casts him, which envokes the legendary rule and sends both Emrakul's to the graveyard and ultimately back in our decks. I wasn't laughing anymore. Next turn I came after Chris with the Butcher and much pumped up Omnath. I was sad to see Emrakul die, though. I eventually hung on for the win, but made the game go on 30 minutes longer than it needed to. That was not the last time Emrakul would screw me that night.


We played a few more games and Snape logged a big win against Chris. My knight deck did a lot better as did the new land destruction deck. Snape brought 46 decks that caused much problems for everyone.

The last notable game was a 3-way featuring Crayola vs. Vampires, Vs. the Chris's green deck. I had a lock on the game. Had circle of protection red, crimson Alcolytes, as James put it a chorus line Grace John's, painter's servant, and the guy that doesn't let anymore than one creature attack. It's an absolute lock except for one thing. Sacrificing. I can counter anything with painter servant and my hydra blasts though. So I feel ok. I even texted my win into James I was so sure. I slowly killed off Snape. But not before he casts one last spell that I decide not to counter, which makes me sacrifice half my permanents. Screw it I thought. I don't even need them. So I sacrifice a bunch of land, and my Grace Joneses. No big deal. I will slowly chip away at Chris too. Then, out of fucking nowhere, Chris casts Emrakul. Annihalator. Sacrificing. I'm fucked. Chris takes his extra turn. There goes the rest of my permanents, and of course death.

Morale of the stories -
1. Emrakul giveth, but also taketh away
2. Never sacrifice all of your Grace Jones. It might just be the one thing to save you from an Eldrazi (if somehow that Eldrazi happens to turn red).




5 comments:

  1. My posts sound a like a child or a non-english speaker.

    I also forgot to mention I couldn't counter spell Emrakul, because he's unfricking counterable.

    Also, I didn't realize that if I had won that game I would have tied James with most FFA wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um excuse me! How could you not tell me about all the Grace Joneses?!?

    I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the new version of "the day the music died" (because of Paul, not a plane).

    ReplyDelete